Thursday, August 18, 2011

There's more than just Graceland here.

Memphis, TN has won me over. From it's less than shiny aesthetic to the talented and proud locals who've helped sculpt a part of American music history, Memphis is just one of those towns you have to visit to feel what it's about.

We're packing up and leaving today, but not without a solid send-off from our friend, Scott Bomar. Scott is a kind and unassuming guy who just happens to be one of the most talented people I've met on this trip. If you've seen the movies, 'Hustle and Flow' and/or 'Black Snake Moan', you've seen (or more appropriately, heard) his work. He composed the soundtracks for those films and others. He's also in a band and owns a studio here in Memphis. I'll admit that I couldn't get enough of his stories about the people he's worked with and the process of scoring films.

Well, we're off to Bristol next. We're staring at a 9-hour drive so I'm more than happy I brought my good headphones. I could use the break today from running, too. It's been a sizable challenge trying to stay in shape, but I think I'll be okay for when we get back to CO - and back to my mountain bike.

This was pretty powerful. I've seen it in photos so many times, but being there was incredible.


Our trip coincided with the 34th anniversary of Elvis' death. We were able to get an all-access experience for the vigil.


Amy Lavere and her band played in an old Victorian mansion. Although we were losing light fast, it turned out great.



The marquee pretty much says it all.


We've been treated like family on the trip. I was given some prize fruits and veggies from Jamie and Suzanne, (Grascals). Fun Fact: the tomato I'm slicing up here is Dolly Parton's absolute favorite vegetable. I happen to know this because Jamie, Suzanne and Dolly are good friends... What?!

2 comments:

Mom said...

A talent in the kitchen? Who knew!?

Mom said...

Park City and the 5-O right around the corner....good luck and see you soon!