Sunday, October 19, 2014

Winning and losing and onion rings

Let me cut to the chase. I went to Scotland to win the solo 24 hour world championships. I won't shy away from the fact that it was a goal of mine that was set last year. I've not only finished several solo 24s, but I've even won silver at the worlds in 2007. I wasn't really going in with any other goal than that top step.

The end result was very, very far away from what I wanted. However, if I've learned anything over the last 8 years as a mountain bike racer, it's that you have to roll with the punches.

First and foremost, I've had - and continue to have - so much support from everyone and the most undying and solid support from my close friends and family. Being an endurance athlete and working to get to the top can be a bit selfish as you leave a wake of people wondering why you look so tired, won't eat certain things, won't drink, won't stay out late, why you haven't called, and why you've disappeared off the grid for a while. The people in my life have always shown a lot of grace with me and I'll never be able to express how much I appreciate them. This life as a relative monk is fleeting and won't last forever, which is probably why I want to get the most out of it while I can - and ultimately, why I enjoy it so much. My wife, friends and family not only support me, but they motivate me and that's why I work my ass off. So when it comes to motivation to win a world championship, you don't have to look far to see who it's really for.




I landed in Glasgow in some of the best shape of my life and mentally I was in a great place. In the past, I would have had an internal battle with guilt having asked people to help me so much and having put work off during the lead up to the trip. I've learned to take it in and appreciate that I'm given the help - and not feel guilty about it! Some of the closest people to me had decided they would take a little trip to Scotland and help me out. My brother Tracey, close friend Nick, my cousins Ryan and Sara, and my aunt and uncle Pat and Sandy. That in itself was so surreal and totally amazing. The other amazing thing was learning how to drive on the left side of the road - in the right side of the car.


Ask anyone who puts a lot into one event and they'll tell you that there are always hiccups along the way. I've had a lot of great athletes teach me that you can't let anything get in your head that will foster doubt, no matter what. I had two little hiccups in the days leading up to the world champs in Fort William that I actually used as fuel: I kept getting sinus headaches in the days leading up to the race and then I had a major crash the day before the race while I was scouting the course. The more blood I saw, the more motivated I was to disregard it and focus even more - once I knew nothing was broken! Both of those, to me, were gentle reminders that nothing comes easy and you must continue to earn the victory.

The race started on Saturday at noon with a group of bagpipers leading us all out of the base of the mountain and onto the course - which was one of the best race courses I've ever ridden. It had a ton of hard climbing and crazy fun and technical descents - all in an 8.5mi lap. I started out feeling good and normal and fast. I get criticized sometimes for going out so fast in a solo 24, but generally it works out to my advantage and in some races here in the US - especially the US nationals I've done, the pace stays so hi for the entire race. (Thanks to a certain Josh Tostado) Well, a few hours in while I was still in the lead, my internal 'check engine' light came on and I just started losing power. This was real concerning to me since climbing is where I should have been just bouncing away, but instead I started to lose time and was eventually caught by Jason English - who would eventually take his 5th straight world title. The man is simply a great and consistent rider.







I never recovered and slowly slid back to 5th place. By the morning I knew I wouldn't be able to make a charge and come back, and reality set in. WARNING: Excuse to follow... Upon finishing the race, I learned I was dealing with a sinus infection. There's nothing you can really do about that. It was a bummer, but it was reality.

My biggest disappointment was that I knew of the performance I was capable of delivering. I absolutely know the lap times I should have been able to ride through the whole race. My crew knew it, too. I know they don't feel this way, but I feel like I let them down and let my friends and family down. I'm not moping here, but just being honest! However, I feel like I won a battle in the sense that I was able to deliver myself to Scotland in the best shape, ready to win. All winter/spring/summer I was riding and training for the people who support me, and I'm extremely proud of that.




I may not have been able to fly back home as the victor and have my wife pick up her 'world champ' husband, but I'll keep trying and keep working hard - and next year I will arrive at the start line in great form again. For now, though, I'll be taking some down time and having more cheeseburgers and onion rings like the ones I had after the race in Scotland. It's all about catching up now, whether that's on social life or calories.

I know that 'thank yous' can become fodder when athletes start into them, but I really have to be honest and say that I wouldn't have been able to go to Scotland without the help of:

My parents - thank you mom and Gary! Wow, I can't even wrap my head around where to begin.

My brother, Nick, Ryan, Sara, Pat and Sandy - thank you for believing in me and getting me fired up!

My wife - who is a rock for me. Wouldn't even know where to start on the list of what I'm thankful for with her.

Josh - you're a great training partner who fosters fastness and pure positivity! I'm looking forward to some Fall and Winter adventures.

George - Thanks for keeping me pretty centered, on and off the bike.

Eric G - About time we get back to the cutting room, eh?

My friends and family who I won't be able to mention individually due to space here... I'm out there for you guys.

Honey Stinger - let's keep this thing going.

Bontrager and Trek - It's been 7 years since you've decided to give me shot!

Ay-Up - Obviously your lights are amazing, but after meeting part of the crew from Oz I just want to hang out more.

The Human body - you're ability to heal is an absolute miracle.

And you - for reading this far down.

Happy trails everyone!

km

No comments: