Friday, September 24, 2010

A nod to some generous people (part 1)

It wasn't that long ago that I was on a $200(US) Specialized Rock Hopper. With no suspension and low-end components, this bike - in all its purple glory - was my ride. I took pride in keeping it clean and safe from bike thieves. Well, technically it probably was a while ago, but I'll never forget the humble beginnings of a rider who considers himself very lucky to have world-class support today.

Since turning pro in 2006, (and previous to that) I've had plenty of help along the way in the form of people and products. Today, my core support is made up of the people and products I've sought out. Financial and gear support comes from the likes of Trek, my parents, Bontrager and Ay-Up lights.

This post technically isn't my 'official duty' as a sponsored athlete, but rather my official duty as a thankful athlete. I owe it to these companies who spend time, money and ample resources to develop world-class products, in addition to sending out salt-of-the-earth people to represent their gear. One person in a cast of several generous characters is Andy Fellows from Ay-Up Lights.

Last year, an article came out in cyclingnews that mentioned a lighting failure I had in the middle of the night in Moab. The writer of this article threw me a bone by mentioning I needed a light sponsor. Well, after another Ay-Up athlete, Travis Macy, put me in contact with Andy, I found myself on their list of athletes. Being a solo 24-hour racer, this was one of the best sponsorships I could have asked for. Those of you who have looked into buying a lighting setup understand how difficult it is to pick the right product for the right price for the right application. Let me do you a favor... read on.

I'm the very proud owner of the Adventure V4 Kit.



As a mountain biker who struggles riding with a camelback, much less a bunch of other heavy and cumbersome items, I was looking for a lighting kit that didn't A) have batteries that break water bottle cages B) have unreliable and flimsy lights and C) burn out in an hour and a half - leaving a rider guessing whether or not he or she will be riding to the finish line in darkness.

I've been aware of Ay-Up for quite some time - and pretty much from the beginning just over 3 years ago. I saw these light and well-designed lights in Monterey, CA when I raced the Solo 24-Hour Worlds and they caught my eye. As an owner of a film/video production company, I have to be honest and say that - yes - design and looks play an important role in products I buy. So there's the first A+.

The lights themselves are the lightest on the market. (2nd A+)





In the V4 kit, I have two sets of lights - one placed on my handlebar and the other on my helmet, making the night 'come alive' as they say. However, remember my dislike for heavy batteries? Ay Up's got my back!




Lightweight (as light as an iphone) and lasting around 6hrs each (A+++!), the Epic battery blows away anything I've seen and WAY out-performs the several lighting kits I've raced with.



I'd like to re-iterate that I'm a huge fan of design, function, and a company's beliefs and people. Ay-Up has impressed me so much that I truly believe I'm doing someone a favor when I recommending these lights. In fact, if there are any front-rangers out there who want to do a night ride with me and try them out - give me a shout. I'll let you use mine. I encourage people to spend some time on their website as they have several products and kits that work in any application from adventure sports, climbing, skiing, and pretty much anything you'd ever need light for. A huge selling point for me as well, is that the pricing isn't outrageous. These guys just do it right - plain and simple.

Moab is right around the corner and I'm looking forward to lighting it up at night - thanks to Travis and Andy. Thanks for helping me out boys!

km

1 comment:

Mom said...

Congrats on the Crested Butte 1st place finish! A true and deserving son. See you in a couple of weeks.