Monday, June 20, 2011

The 'Great' in Grandmother



I've had the true privilege to get to know my great grandmother really well. She would sit with me and share stories of her journey from Russia to the US as a little German girl. She would share with me her experiences on the boat, (hiding inside of a trunk for most of it). She told me about settling on the Prairie in North Dakota. And when she told me stories about my family, I couldn't get enough. I began to realize why I've always held my family in such high regard. I come from a bloodline of great people and last week's visit with my great grandmother, ultimately my last, reiterated this. Two months shy of her 101st birthday, she was sharp and offered up her usual advice on life. I'm going to miss those conversations, but I feel blessed that I've had them. I'm going to miss you grandma.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks so much Kel.

Mom said...

Congrats on the win in Breckenridge
yesterday!

Mom said...

So good to see you. Thanks for the time you spent with me!