Friday, June 25, 2010

The good, the bad, and the kankle

I've had this agonizing pain on the front of my ankle (or 'kankle' if you will) for the past couple of weeks. Now before you read on, I should warn you that I may get a little graphic...

I went for a couple of walks with my parents just after the Race to Sunset and as they dropped me on the road climb in front of the house, I just kept thinking, 'Man, I must have nailed a branch or something.' Well, after a little self examination I diagnosed myself with tendinitis. I was feeling some grinding on the front of my ankle when I'd bend, push and pull my foot back and forth. It was also red and majorly swollen. The funny thing is that you can also hear this grinding and it actually sounds like squeaking. I've heard horror stories about people actually rupturing their tendon - and I'm not one to gamble when the stakes are high.

I ended up taking some time off the bike and did what I was supposed to. Ironically, I was hired to shoot a spot for Trek down in Durango with Travis Brown. I was a poor excuse for a mountain biker as I complained and limped my way through a 25 hour (straight through) shoot. I'm very happy with the end result - which I can't post for a couple weeks until the product is released. It was also super fun shooting with Travis and our crew - Dave and Jeremiah.

This last weekend, I decided it was time to race again. I went to Winter Park for the XC super loop, lined up with the familiar faces and we were off. I felt incredible and a bit feisty from the gun. I put in a few attacks right off the bat and I found myself a little gap on 2nd place.



I kept on it all the way until about 2 miles from the finish - where I punctured my tire! As disappointing as this can be - it happens to everyone at one point. I'm just really happy I'm still feeling strong after the break from the bike.

Next up is the MTB Marathon Nationals in Breckenridge if I can find my way into registration. (I procrastinated on this one...)

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hope the ankle is healed...super job in Winter Park! Breckenridge on the 4th? Looking forward to seeing your new video work. Take care.

Juice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juice said...

Talking about flat tires, I drove 9 1/2hrs down to Laramie,Wy for the DeadDog Classic Road race. Right when the official said go I clipped in and my rear tire went boom! The wheel in the support truck they put on to continue to continue the race only had a 23T so I had to climb for an hour at 50-60rpm legs didn't like that at all and continued to hurt on the next 2 stages that weekend. Not a very good showing. So it happens to all of us. Good luck in your next race man! Keep the rubber side down

Rich Rothwell said...

I had the same - a leg that actually audibly creaked like a rusty hinge! My first reaction was to do nothing... it got worse. Friend told me to keep exercising and manipulating it - idea being that it keeps the blood flowing and aids repair. It cleared up pretty quickly. Hope it heals!