Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Which way to the South Boundary Trail?

First off, I need to acknowledge that my dashboard on blogger.com informed me that this is my 100th post...

Really?

Anyway, the past few weeks have been filled with rich and strengthening experiences. From races to fun projects at work (see below), there is no shortage of adventure - maybe just a little sleep!



I raced in Angel Fire, NM this last weekend and outside of missing my girlfriend the entire time (NM always reminds me of the beautiful, blond damsel), it was pretty much a perfect weekend. The thing about being a mountain bike racer is that races are actually a great excuse to travel and stay an extra day to ride some of the best trails in the world. The South Boundary Trail is a famous and extremely fun trail that goes from *somewhere near Angel Fire to Taos. After receiving mixed messages from a few different bike shop employees (that may or may not have been inhaling some extra curricular herbal medicine), and an equally mixed up map, we scratched our heads and left to ride the SBT.

*

I had great company on this bushwhacking adventure through the mountains of NM. South Dakotans, Dave, Jasper and Justin were my com padres as we guessed our way through Trail 1 on our way to the holy grail, if you will.




Just behind me would be the climb that would ultimately lead us to the South Boundary trail.



The trail would, too often, have sections where there actually was no trail - and no signs - while other obvious parts were marked with numerous signs. As we ran out of water we reached South Boundary. The decision was made by Dave and I to go forward, while Justin and Jasper probably did the smart thing and headed down the mountain and back to the condo. (We still had a hearty chunk of trail to bite off)

Dave and I ripped through the trail and had a blast.

Just below is the town of Taos. We were in for a real treat down the descent.


Actually, that was until Dave burped his tire... And my compressed air can was a dud...




I'm still a bit disappointed that the the guys didn't join us, but in the end it all worked out. On their way back to South Dakota, the fellas stopped in Golden for some more shredding on Apex and Chimney Gulch trails and great food from Ali Baba.

All in all, a great weekend of racing, riding, and hanging with friends.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Great job on the Trek Speed Concept!
Looks like this was shot on the Salt Flats of Utah or the freshly fallen snow in ND!

Anonymous said...

Just rode SBT over Memorial Day weekend. I don't know where you got this map, but it was invaluable to us. Thanks man!

Anonymous said...

Just rode SBT over Memorial Day weekend. I don't know where you got this map, but it was invaluable to us. I'm a firm believer in suspect directions...