Wednesday, June 16, 2010

These sunsets never get old

Although I don't have any great photos of the North Dakota sunset, I did snap this blurry example of what was out my window as I grew up in the plains of ND.



Last weekend I raced in the annual Race to Sunset, (speaking of sunsets). I love heading home and seeing grandparents, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends. Every year this trip reiterates how important the people whom you surround yourself with are. Now that I'm back in the swing of work (and tendon recovery!) I feel lucky as I look back on last weekend. I have an absolutely undying and unrelenting support crew in my family as well as a network of good friends within the ND cycling community. I learn a lot about generosity and grace from weekends like this last one.

My aunt Sandy and uncle Kelly open their home up to me every year the night before the race to get some rest and do last minute prep on the bikes. This year I was ready to do the time trial, (which went really well - probably due to a new bike this year and some SUPER light tires) eat and then go straight to bed. The bikes were ready. However, before I knew it, Kelly and I were in the middle of a Stan's NoTubes mess trying to seat a set of tires that I wanted to try out. After firing up Kel's air compressor and a few loud 'pops' the tires were seated and I was actually ready for bed. My cousins Hayley and Kayla showed their support by showing me the jerseys and t-shirts they were going to wear the next day in support of their bike racing cousin. (and support they did - in style along with my mom, Alexis and the rest of the fam!) I might give them a nickname like the 'cowbell clan' or something...

Just after the TT


The 10 hour race started at 8:30a in some very cool temps and under some precarious clouds. The temps stayed cool all day and I felt the best I've ever felt. My main support man, Ryan, kept the calories coming in and the liquids full. Ryan has seen me in all sorts of scenarios and can read where I'm at. He kept me calm and consistent all day.



One of the best challenges is to see how long I can stay competitive with the four person teams in this race. Make no mistake - these guys are fast! I had pressure on me all day by the Grimsley's Garage team (including Sydney, John, Jon, and Alex) and I could see certain points on the lap where I would gain a few seconds - and lose a few seconds. This would happen all day long and I thought that maybe I could hold them off. With about a half hour left in the race I hit a major wall! I had gauged my effort all day and I knew it was going to be close at the end.

A little tunnel vision and a little extra burning in the legs - topped off with the fact I was seeing the G Garage guys pulling back major chunks of time finally did me in! The rain never came, but the inevitable 'catch' did. As Sydney passed me we shook hands and exchanged a 'great job!' and I conceded the lead. Those guys were flyin'!



I really couldn't have asked for a better day - or better people to have out on that trail. From the super fast guys like the Garage guys, Epic Sports teams, and more to the people out there just finishing - I saw so many people encouraging one another. What an awesome day!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Congrats on an outstanding race...the sportsmanship at these races never cease to amaze me! We look forward to this race every year. Great people. Hope your well. Talk soon!

Juice said...

Joe's vs pro's it only took 4 of us and 9 1/2hr's to pass you! We are not worthy.
Had a good chat with ryan he's pretty cool guy you got to get him on a bike!


P.S. Nice sunglasses tan!

velover said...

Kelly,

Thanks for the nice words, it is absolutely amazing to watch you hammer out those laps! Best of luck the rest of the year, maybe we'll bump into each other at another race down the road. (dakota 5-0, Chequamegon 40, and hopefully back to 24 hrs of Moab if I can talk the team into it)