Friday, July 8, 2011

Burnin' like a firecracker on the 4th of July

It's that time my friends. Time to say, 'I'm ready.'

As an athlete, I believe it's pretty easy to tell yourself that there's still room for improvement. Although this is pretty much the truth all the time, it's a dangerous place to be perpetually living in. That slippery slope of expectations can be frustrating, daunting, and often times pretty dark. Over the years, I've decided that I can no longer scientifically dissect my preparation leading up to race day, but instead focus on the mental side of the sport.

Coming into July I knew I had a few big races on the calendar I wanted to do well in. It's pretty amazing how easy it is to hide behind the '3 weeks until the race' factor and say, 'I'm going to be so ready!' Then, as the '3 days until the race' falls in your lap, it's just as easy to say, 'Well, I did have a stressful week at work, and I'm a little extra tired from not sleeping well, and . . .' These things may be (and probably are) true, but I've been learning to focus on the hay that's in the barn. We've done the work, which is the hardest part. Focusing on the hours and hours on the bike I've put in is much more productive then focusing on one or two little factors that really aren't a huge deal.

I lined up for the annual Firecracker 50 on the 4th, and as I looked around at the competition I got a little nervous - and yes, doubtful of my form. However, as the gun went off and we rolled down Main Street in Breckenridge, I put everything aside and had to tell myself that anything can happen, the work was done, and most importantly - I apologized to my body in advance for what I was about to put it through.

The Firecracker 50 is made up of two monstrous laps each measuring in at 27 miles and about 5,000 ft of climbing. The first 20-30 minutes of the race is a big climb and as we were all jockeying for position, I made it into one of the first selections. As a group, we were working well together, but what I didn't realize was that the guy who shot off the front, Peter Stetina, was fresh off an impressive 22nd place at the Giro 'd Italia. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone climb so fast in my life.

The 'check engine' light came when I reached the top and I thought my day was already done! I tried to relax and stay steady, which proved to be fruitful in my attempt to get back in the game. As the first lap unfolded, I found myself out front with Colin Cares - and just keeping a slight lead on Jay Henry. Those who know Jay know that it's only a matter of time before he comes steamrolling back towards the front.

As Colin and I worked with each other up that first big climb of the 2nd lap, I knew he was about a gear faster than me. I gritted my teeth to stay with him, but when we hit the top, I just couldn't keep it together and he put some time into me. As the race started nearing the end, Jay (looking and riding so fast!) caught and passed me. I knew if I could keep my cool I would hold onto third, but believe me - that's much harder than it sounds in this race. Good friend and super strong rider, Brian Smith, was just over a minute behind me towards the end. I'm glad I held it together to roll through in 3rd. This was definitely one of my best races due to the fact that it was a mental test as much as physical. For me to be in the same zipcode as Colin, Jay, and Brian is an honor. They're not only great athletes, but great guys.

Honey Stinger/Trek rider Jen Gersbach made the podium for the women's side with an impressive 4th place ride. Looking as fit as ever, I'd say she's in for a good 2nd half of the season.

To top it all off I had some friends show up for the race to spectate - and let me tell you, it's a great feeling to see friends after something like that. Thanks Chris, Britt and Livi.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Congrats Kel!!! I see you have the podium shoes on! You are truly an amazing athlete and a great son as well. Love sent your way.....