Wednesday, October 13, 2010

24 Hour Nationals

To be honest, I lost some sleep on the days leading up to the race. I knew the form I had to be in leading up to it, I knew the competition was going to be insanely fast, and I knew what I was about to put my body, mind, and crew through. I was losing sleep because I knew everything was in place and I had a shot...

I become a little overwhelmed when I think about the generosity of the people on my crew. Their undying support and willingness to suffer along with me is totally crazy. We had some familiar faces in the camp as well as a few new ones. Bethany and Chris R came back for round 2 of nationals while Matt came out to wrench for me for the first time this year. I also had good friends Jen G, Chris S (aka Showtime), Dave G, Dave O, Justin (who shot these photos), Amy and Chelsea lending helping hands. We were also posted up next to good friends, Wes and Ann. Wes knocked out 9 laps before his knees called it an early (actually late) night on his solo attempt.



From the gun at noon on Saturday, I knew I wanted to create some separation from the other soloists. I feel confident about my cross country race pace and the ability to 'settle in', so I kind of went with that plan. I also knew that Josh Tostado (yep - the head to head battle continued again this year!) was going to be there no matter what and I just prepared for that. The first few laps were pretty crazy. Josh and I were actually attacking one another pretty much until it got dark. We're friends, but we love to have a good race going on so we're usually putting it on the line. I think the decisive move for him - from my point of view - was the effort he put in on our first night lap. I just remember him going so hard at times and thinking to myself - 'he's gotta pay for that at some point.' I decided to back off a little, but try and keep the pace consistent. I truly believed I would be able to reel him in later in the race if I saved a little. The reality is that Josh didn't slow down - at all! I just kept telling myself to keep pushing and not give up. I came to this race to win it and I was tearing myself inside out to do just that.

When morning rolled around, Josh had put some more time into me and it was looking like I would finish 2nd - again - to Josh. I really can't think of a better guy to see in that stars and stripes jersey. Did I want it? Yes. Did I do everything I could to try and win it? Yes. Josh just rode out of his mind and earned it.



As one of my crew members said to me, 'You brought your A game, but Josh brought his A+ game.' I couldn't agree more. Every time I race against Josh, I have more respect for him and the fact he pushed me to 18 laps was remarkable. I was told only one other rider has ever done that in the 16 year history of the race! I think we both like racing one another, because we know that neither one of us will ever give up - which is frightening - and means you better bring your A+ game if you want to win.

Congrats Josh, Cary, Ben, Ernesto - and all the other riders out there. It was one hell of a way to spend 24 hours!

km


1 comment:

Mom said...

Once again, congrats! So good to see you this past weekend. We had a great time...thanks for the special heartfelt send off at the airport.
See you soon.