Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Badger State

I'm home from a whirlwind trip that took me to a few fully-packed days in Waterloo, WI and San Diego, CA. Although I'm unable to mention (or post photos from...) the cool things I was doing for another couple months, I can say that I was able to visit with some of the good people from Trek.

I met Trek's president, John Burke, when he invited a group of people to his home for a soiree. My introduction to him was made extra-special due to some kind words from Paul Rogers (creative extraordinaire at Trek) and Michael Browne (marketing extraordinaire and the reason I was on the Trek team in 2010). I felt at home being in the company of these guys and a few others in the room. As I looked around I realized how lucky I am to have been on such a great team for the last 3 years. (wow - it's been 3 years?!)

I don't know what next year holds for me, but I can say that the last 3 years have helped shape my cycling career into an experience that I would have never dreamed of - not to mention the teams and people that helped me during the years previous. The task of getting into the Trek organization wasn't easy. It took the right people and the right timing to happen. I just knew that when it did happen, the hard work was just beginning, and not because I was told this, but because I wanted the relationship to last and be successful. It's easy to work hard when you look down at the logo on your jersey and you get a feeling of pride. I've pedaled harder in the last few years than I ever have and will continue to do so for the next - however many - years.

The 2010 cycling season is over for me and I'm satisfied with the results. Not only the placings, but how I trained back in January and how I raced through October.

I've had some down time (along with cheeseburgers, pizza, desserts...) and now I'm ready to start shaping my plans for 2011. It's not just about racing, but about riding. As I've said before, I race so that I can ride my bike - not the other way around.

1 comment:

Mom said...

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE PROJECT YOU ARE WORKING ON. OUR BIG THANKS TO TREK FOR BEING SO KIND AND GENEROUS TO YOU...A WELL DESERVING ATHLETE!