Friday, August 22, 2008

AMC: days 1 and 2

As I try to complete my first stage race I'll update the best I can as the days go on.

Trek VW had an amazing day one (The 6 mile prologue) with Jeremiah Bishop and Lea Davison each winning and grabbing the leaders jersey.



I had a good day, but blew up a little bit at about the 4 mile point and ended up 9th. When you go into the red zone at this elevation, you don't come back.

After the prologue and team dinner, Lea, Rebecca Rusch, Jenny Smith, Jeremiah and myself decided we would jump in the freezing cold creek to get our legs nice and flushed out...





The elevation is so high here that Jeremiah headed down the mountain so his heart rate would get low enough so he could sleep. Speaking of JB, he won again today in another sprint finish after 55 miles. He is on fire with 2 stage wins so far. I again had a real good day, but I faded from 6th to 9th as I ran out of calories in the last 10 miles. Maybe 9 is my number. (even my mom's birthday is on a 9th)

I can't believe we race 62 miles tomorrow - and another 55 on Sunday. This race is turning out to be really fast and difficult with all the big names here. I'm hoping to stay consistant and healthy the next couple days.

No comments: